Monday, May 9, 2011

Assignment#1: Ten Things About Brice Miller

My name is Brice Miller and I'm excited to be taking this Digital Stories course. Now, ten things about me:

1. I am New Orleans. I am a New Orleans-based jazz trumpeter and multi-faceted performance artist and assistant director of Community Affairs at the University of Alabama.

2. I am a very creative individual that enjoy a multitude of artistic expression including: creative photography, budoir photography, documentary film-making, landscaping, automobile restoration, and interior design. My wife says this what makes me creative, but drives her crazy; the constant changing from one project to another.

3. I am a loving husband and proud father of four, yes four beautiful kids. I work hard to provide my kids not just material happiness, but a family happiness and cohesiveness which rare in many of today’s households. I grew up with a wonderful childhood and want to provide them with that plus more.

4. I am an interdisciplinary perfectionist seeking to use all that is available to me as the platform of my identity. I’m not just this… or just that… but rather who and what I choose to be. Yet, in the same voice I have found my conformation to certain social order.

5. I drift off into some distant imaginary place often, sometimes in the middle of a conversation. I’m not ignoring or not interested, but rather I seem to get creative visions in the weirdest of places and during the weirdest times.

6. I am interested in explore peoples’ mind, why do they do (or not do) certain things, behaviors, activities, etc. and I want to use digital storytelling to help me accomplish this goal.

7. I am seeking desperately to get back to a creative sphere in life. For the last several years I feel as though I’ve been in some kind of funk that is many times difficult to depart. I’m hoping… actually I know this class will help me get my creative groove back.

8. I am a Spike Lee, Tony Comstock, David Simon, Roger Dickerson all encapsulated striving for creative freedom.

9. I enjoy writing.

10. I am free… Now I just need to prove it to myself and the world!

4 comments:

  1. I am so honored that you have taken the time out of your summer (I know it isn't easy to take so many hours a day over the course of three weeks)... I believe that this will help with the creative groove (at least it does for me). I get in an academic head space (my funk, and not the good kind), and it takes a creative class like this to help me get my groove back.

    I love all of the creativity that you bring to this work.... it's going to be a great course.

    Welcome!

    -Doc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the best place to be is between a creative rock and a musical hard place. Music moves us....

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Mark: Mos' Def. Finding a space to allow that creativity to flow is sometimes the most difficult.

    @ LaProfesora: Yes, I'm excited to be taking the course, being able to finally have some Generation X energy, and to find that creative groove that sometimes seems impossible to find here. Also, maybe I can start using the tons of video and photos I keep saying I'm going to do something with but haven't thus far.

    ReplyDelete