Monday, May 9, 2011

Ten things to begin again...


Ten things to begin again...
Today began my first day as a graduate student at The University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. I am interested in the construction of identity centered around race and gender. My concentration will be founded in Critical Cultural Theory.
On Wednesday, I celebrated 27 years of existence on Earth. It has been a remarkable journey, and I am interested to see what lies ahead.
3. Passion
One of my favorite pastimes is Spoken Word. I have been writing spoken word for about ten years. I have performed in several venues throughout the South. Below is a video from a reading/performance in Atlanta at Apache cafe.

4. Life
I am a believer in the power of the universe and the spirit. Many of my accomplishments have come from this particular belief, I believe.
5. Vehicle
Currently, I drive a 1998 Chevy Lumina. However, later this year I hope to purchase my first car. I plan to buy a 3 or 5 series BMW.
6. Family
My family means so much to me. They have been there for me since the beginning and continue to be a huge pillar of support as I continue on my academic endeavor.
7. Travel
Later this year I hope to travel to South America. I love the Brazilian cultures,and have studied Candomble, an Afro-Brazilian religion.
8. Future Career
Ultimately, I hope to be a great writer and speaker. It is my wish to travel around the globe and speak to the many people that inhabit the earth. Furthermore, I hope to work in conjunction with a feature film production team, preferably as a writer or producer.
9. Digital Storytelling
It is my wish that this class offers better insight into the world of film and video. I have some knowledge of editing, but I want to better understand the theoretical approaches to film and its potential to impact the globe.
10. Pet
I plan to purchase a Jack Russell Terrier in the next few months. I have always wanted a pet, and feel as though now is the perfect time to get one.


6 comments:

  1. I wrote a paper comparing Umbanda and Candomble. They are both fascinating religions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on surviving your first day of grad school! I predict a very wonderful journey for you! Your advisor is quite awesome!

    I think that this class will be a great place for you to bring the wordsmithing... poetry can make amazing voice over.

    I can't wait to dig in!

    -Doc

    ReplyDelete
  3. @TenaciousT, I enjoyed studying Candomble. I am very much looking forward to interacting with its culture.

    @La Profesora, I am so excited about the opportunities that lie ahead of me. I have hit the ground running with many goals in mind. I am thrilled to be in the class, and today's experience just further let me know that I am exactly where I want and need to be. Thanks for the continued support. See you in class tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you'll really fit in the grad program here. It's a great program, and a pretty close knit group of people. If you ever need support, there's always someone there to help. Roll Tide.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take me with you to Brazil! Pleeeaase.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Alex, Thanks! I think I will be okay for the most part. I am pretty familiar with some of the faculty.

    @Jazz, Let's Go!

    ReplyDelete