Tuesday, May 10, 2011


To Be Or Not To Be... Queer from storycentre on Vimeo.

The reason I chose this digital story is because I have a lot of friends that are gay. The context of the piece stood out to me. I know that being gay is a constant struggle for many, especially in the South. Coming out and realizing what you are is hard for most. Digital storytelling seems like a great way to process some of those emotiions.I was really intrigued by Brad’s use of a childhood photo as his opener. It made me want to see more.
I also appreciated how personal the visual images were. Though the transitions were a little sloppy, I like how Brad used an image of the sun coming up behind a high school to talk about his own experience. I also really appreciated the artwork he displayed when talking about his visit to the counselor. The hands were in fists and were also folded which is how I feel most people would hold their hands in that sort of situation.
Of course, I am the person that needs an ending, so I would have really liked to see more on how the death of his friend affected him, but I did appreciate his “gift.” I took from his piece that there is always a brighter day and to look forward for positivity.














storycenter.org

“The Gift of Nonviolence” by Leroy Moore
This piece really stood out to me because of the bio attached to it. I guess I’m one of those people that likes to know what they are getting into before they invest 3 minutes of their time. I know that’s pretty sad but it is kind of the way it is.
Anyway, in the brief description of the piece we got to see the “who, what, when, where, and why.” I really like to know the context ahead of time, kind of like previews for a movie, or teases before a commercial break. We really got to see where Dr. Moore was coming from, without revealing his “gift.”
The content of this piece was really powerful. By explaining the abuse he had to endure as a child, he showed us how he got to be the man that he is today. Dr. Moore told us why nonviolent methods are so important to him. His story is a very powerful one.
Without using any really personal photos from is childhood, the storyteller really got his point across. I especially appreciated the zoom out from the window in a dark room. I can imagine, as a kid that was beaten at night, that slight glimpse of light in the morning was a major relief. That was a very powerful image.
I really like the audio used in the background of the piece. It wasn’t overwhelming and really went along with the over all mood and message. It was nice, instrumental music, and I could appreciate that there were no lyrics. I’m sure there are no lyrics in the world that could explain what he went through as a child.
I also enjoyed that his piece had an ending. We were given a “gift” but we were also told what Dr. Moore has done to reverse the pattern of abuse and violence. The ending wasn’t a clear cut one, but the bio explained to listeners that he has continued to do great work and make great strides.

No comments:

Post a Comment